St. Anthony’s is one of the only high schools with a dedicated center for college services. This unique center allows the staff the ability to provide students with individualized attention in addition to the support of the Guidance Department. Working together, the College Center staff and the Guidance Counselors help students select colleges based on a multitude of factors.
Throughout the year, the staff of the College Center hosts many events for families to attend. The St. Anthony’s College Fair is one of the largest fairs held on Long Island and attracts over 200 representatives eager to meet our students. The College Panel is offered for parents and students to hear directly from Admissions Directors of some of our most sought after campuses. College Financial Aid Night is a great opportunity for guidance with financial preparation. In addition, the College Center hosts approximately 150 individual college/university representative visits for students to attend and learn about colleges prior to traveling to visit a campus. The College Counselors attend each of the presentations to learn about trends and requirements for each of the schools.
Mrs. Kim Hearney, Director of College Counseling and Mrs. Katie McGinty, Assistant Director of College Counseling, have both worked in various positions within the college field. Their combined expertise include past positions within admissions, academic advising, financial aid, and student activities and each holds a NYS Permanent School Counselor Certification. Presently, Mrs. Hearney is an Adjunct Assistant Professor, Admissions Counselor during the summer, and sits on multiple collegiate Advisory Boards nationwide.
Additional services offered in the College Center include:
- Determine “Family Fit” – region, cost, major interest selection
- Review of student academics and test scores
- Provide guidance on tracking demonstrated interest
- Application Assistance
- Creation of student activity resume
- Preparation for admissions interviews
- Guidelines for application essay and all supplementary materials
- Coaching students with financial aid negotiations
- Scholarship search
- Provide potential list of colleges
- College selection guidance based on expressed financial need